Piaseczno – a town incorporated under the Kulm law in 1429. In 1526, when the region of Masovia was incorporated into the Polish Kingdom, the town became the property of Polish kings. The civic rights of the town were confirmed in 1578. During the subsequent centuries, Piaseczno was frequently destroyed in fires and during wars. In the 19th century, many Germans settled in the area near Piaseczno, while in the second half of the 19th century, a Jewish commune was established in the town. The first general elections to the town council were organised in December 1919. In the 1930s, as a result of the parcellation of the Wilanów and Wólka Kozodawska land properties, the housing estates called Adamów Zalesie, Miasto Las Zalesie and Miasto Ogród Zalesie were founded; today, these estates constitute one estate of Piaseczno called Zalesie Dolne. The broad gauge railway line from Warsaw through Piaseczno to Radom was introduced in 1934. The second half of the 20th century witnessed rapid industrial development of the town. “Lamina” Transmitting Tubes Manufacturing Company and “Polkolor” Colour Cathode Ray Tubes Manufacturing Company were established. The district of Piaseczno was introduced in 1952, but soon dissolved in 1975. Piaseczno regained its status of the seat of the district in 1999. Since the 1990s, the district has been enjoying rapid development of industry, services and residential construction.
St Anna’s Church – church erected in the second half of the 16th century in the Late-Gothic style with many elements of Renaissance architecture. The Baroque interior of the church includes the high altar with the painting of the Holy Trinity and two side chapels with altars created in the first half of the 18th century. In the chapel on the left side of the nave, there is a painting of the Virgin Mary of Piaseczno with Baby Jesus in silver robes, painted on a wooden board in the middle of the 18th century. Other items created in the same period are the wooden baptismal font and the crucifix with a figure of Mary Magdalene. The most precious historic item in the church is the statue of Christ on the Cross of the beginning of the 16th century, situated in the Chapel of the Cross, built on the north side of the church in the 1990s.
Rectory – built on the turn of the 19th century, in the place of the former rectory destroyed in 1794. Currently, the building houses the Regional Museum (telephone number: +48 22 737 23 99; open on Thursdays and Fridays, 10 am – 6 pm, and on Saturdays and Sundays, 9 am – 3 pm).
Town Hall – built in the years 1823-1824, in the Classicist style according to the design by Hilary Szpilowski. On the top of the town hall tower, there is a crescent commemorating the visit of a Turkish emissary in Piaseczno in 1777.
Manor House called “Poniatówka” – manor house located in the area of the town park, built or reconstructed probably in the beginning of the 19th century, after the devastation of the town by the Russian army in 1794. The original manor house is said to have been founded by Franciszek Ryx, a starost of Piaseczno since 1774. In 1891, the Chyliczki land property, including the manor house, was purchased by Cecylia Plater-Zyberkówna. The building housed the Agricultural School for Girls; afterwards, there were apartments for teachers and later – for girls studying in the school.
Narrow Gauge Railway Station – designed by Konstanty Sylwin Jakimowicz and constructed in 1914. In the premises of the Piaseczno Narrow Gauge Railway Station, there are buildings of the former engine shed and railroad garages. The construction of the metre-gauge railroad line started in 1898. In 1900, there was a train from Warsaw through Piaseczno to Góra Kalwaria and Gołków. In 1911, Towarzystwo Akcyjne Warszawskich Dróg Żelaznych Podjazdowych (Warsaw Rail Road Joint-Stock Association) was established with participation of Belgian capital, which enabled the realisation of numerous investments, reconstruction of the existing railroad lines and purchasing of new equipment. The construction of the railroad line from Gołków to Grójec and Jasieniec started in 1912. In 1926, the line reached the town of Nowe Miasto. With the development of cars and bus transport in the second half of the 20th century, narrow gauge railroad started to lose its importance as a means of transport. Passenger transport was stopped in 1991, while the transport of goods was suspended five years later. The narrow gauge railroad was listed in the register of historic sites. Currently, there are only trips for tourists or upon special orders. Detailed information on events connected with the narrow gauge railroad can be obtained from the Piaseczno Narrow Gauge Railroad Society, ul. Sienkiewicza 14, telephone number: +48 22 756 76 38, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.kolejka-piaseczno.com
Parish cemetery – founded on the turn of the 19th century. The oldest historic site preserved until today is the tomb of Feliks Deskur, died 1808, the First Lieutenant of the 1st Light Cavalry Regiment. The tomb, designed in the Classicist style, is made of sandstone and marble. In the old northern section of the cemetery, there are also other 19th-century tombs of Józef Korczyc, Andrzej Szymoński, Jan Andrzejewski or Kazimierz Małachowski. There is also a stone tomb of 12 soldiers killed in the January Uprising in 1863, funded by the town’s inhabitants after proclaiming independence in 1918.
Jewish cemetery – founded beyond the borders of the town at that time (currently: Tuwima Street). Its establishment is associated with the emergence of a Jewish commune in Piaseczno in the years 1869-1870 and the fact that Jews from Piaseczno were no longer buried in Nadarzyn. 17 tombstones have been preserved until today, the oldest of which is dated at 1889. The tombstone has the engraving in Hebrew saying: “A noble man, who trod the path of the righteousness and justice and did good every day of his life. A pious teacher, Rabbi Lazar, the son of Rabbi Moshe Malevi. Died 8 Iyar 649, according to the shortened count of time (1889)”.